MASSACHUSETTS COUNCIL OF CHURCHES JOB DESCRIPTION
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
The Massachusetts Council of Churches exists to make the vibrant Church visible. We envision a Church reconciled to God and one another, for the sake of the world and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. In pursuit of our common Christian witness, we claim a theological foundation of the eternal nature of Christ’s Church. Unity is not ours to create, but ours to make visible. In this holy ministry, we believe that we serve a God of abundance who will not fail nor abandon us, but longs for and cheers on the reconciliation and flourishing of all God’s people.
The Massachusetts Council of Churches builds relationships in pursuit of full, visible Christian unity. To serve this mission well, we need a strong, diverse, skilled and flexible staff. MCC aims to be a just and joyful place to work, living in multi-cultural and bivocational ministry. The Director of Operations will work together with the other MCC staff in a highly collaborative team.
The specific role of the Director of Operations includes managing the administrative work of the Council, maintaining institutional policies, striving for systems clarity, staffing the Disbursement Team of the One Church Fund, and engaging Advisory Board members.
The Director of Operations is the lead Massachusetts Council of Churches staff person for the integrity and efficacy of our operations. We believe a mission of common Christian witness demands our excellence.
The position is ~ 21 hour per week, currently remote. During non-COVID times, this position will take place in the Boston office at least part of the time.
- Passion and conviction in the ministry of reconciliation
- Thrives in collaborative working environment and diligence in working alone
- Competent in Microsoft Office
- Excellent phone, social media, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work efficiently and flexibly, with multiple projects at once
- Attentiveness to detail
- Skills in social media, web site, Constant Contact, and database management
- Experience in administration, finance, and human resources
- Committed to ecumenical and pastoral sensitivity, including confidentiality as needed
- Knowledge and appreciation of Church
- Commitment to and interest in working in an intentionally Christian institution, with openness to working in interfaith collaborations
- Ensure adequate infrastructure for MCC office
- Work with and supervise the bookkeeper to establish and maintain financial processes and ensure timely reporting.
- Assist Board Treasurer in preparation of reports and budgets
- Coordinate MCC fundraising, including 2 annual appeals each year
- Administer donation and acknowledgement process and records
- Assist the auditor in the annual audit process
- Provide staff support to Investment Committee and Funds Development Committee
- Provide administrative/logistical support for MCC events
- Maintain database and coach other staff in its use
- Manage MCC Website
- Manage communication through our office, including email and telephone and mail.
- Guide all MCC communications for visual and communications clarity, in accord with our style guide
- Help prepare email newsletter, with collaboration of other MCC Staff.
- Collaborate with Director of External Relationships and Executive Director, as well as board, to set organizational direction
- Contribute to MCC Social Media presence and newsletter/website content
- Work with Director of External Relationships and Executive Director to design Advisory Board meetings and engagement strategies.
- Staff the Distribution Team of the One Church Fund, along with other MCC staff, coordinate all grant-making
- Provide financial support to the Lydia Fellows Program
The Director of Operations reports to the Executive Director.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, including the names and phone numbers of two references, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review all applications on a rolling basis.