The Massachusetts Council of Churches exists to make the vibrant Church visible. In pursuit of our common Christian witness, we claim a theological foundation of the eternal nature of Christ’s Church. Unity is not ours to create, but ours to make visible. In this holy ministry, we believe that we serve a God of abundance who will not fail nor abandon us, but longs for and cheers on the reconciliation of all God’s people.
The Massachusetts Council of Churches builds relationships in pursuit of full, visible Christian unity. To serve this mission well, we need a strong, diverse, and dynamic staff. The Program Director will work together with the Director of External Relationships, the Director of Internal Relationships and the Executive Director in a highly collaborative team.
The Program Director will report to the Executive Director.
The Program Director will manage the Lydia Fellows Program, a grant-based program funded by the Lilly Endowment. Their responsibilities will include recruitment of participants, communication with denominational partners, design of annual retreats, implementation of the program, pastoral care of the participants, evaluation, and grant administration. More information on the Lydia Fellows is included in Appendix A.
The position is full time, based in our Boston office, with travel throughout the Commonwealth. Scheduling of work hours will occur under the supervision of the Executive Director, with the understanding that Sunday mornings are not required. This position is grant-based and fully funded for a period of five years. Salary is set at $56,500, plus benefits.
The Program Director is the primary designer, recruiter, implementer, leader, and reporter for the Lydia Fellows program. The Program Director is responsible for the successful creation and facilitation of this program. Most critically, the Program Director is responsible for regular reporting on the program to the Executive Director and Lily Endowment. We anticipate the creation of a Lydia Fellow Advisory Board, for which the Program Director will serve as primary staff person.
Successful applicants for this position will be familiar with the program proposal in Appendix A.
The Program Director will be someone who is:
• Able to show demonstrated comfort and experience working among different church cultures
• An experienced program designer and implementer
• Culturally competent
• Passionate and convicted in the ministry of reconciliation
• Energized in collaborative working environment
• Enthused in meeting new people
• In love with the Church and identifies the marks of a vibrant, reconciling church around us
• Committed to ecumenical and pastoral sensitivity, including confidentiality as needed
• Able to work efficiently and flexibly, with multiple projects at once
• Committed to and interested in working in an intentionally Christian institution, with openness to working in interfaith collaborations
• Comfortable with ecumenical awkwardness of entering new settings and situations
• Clear in communication, with excellent phone, social media, and interpersonal skills
• Self-starting, highly motivated, and able to function dependably and independently
• Disciplined in documentation
• Attentive to evaluation and able to stay on schedule
• Devoted to the MCC values of Delight, Excellence, Diversity, Relationship and Gratitude
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, including the names and phone numbers of two references, and resume to [email protected]. We will review all applications on a rolling basis.